Smith says ODI retirement will leave ‘a big hole in Pietersen’s life’
South Africa-born Pietersen quit ODIs after the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) refused him his wish to appear in Twenty20 matches while opting out of 50-over games.
"It's impossible to know what you're giving up, and how hard it will hit you, until it's gone," Smith told online magazine Wisden EXTRA on Monday.
"One-day cricket has been a big part of his life for a very long time and, right now, he thinks he can just walk away from it. Maybe he can. But I think he'll quickly find there's a big hole in his life, which isn't as easy to cope with as he may think," he said.
Pietersen suggested last week he would be willing to come back to one-dayers if something could be done about making sure he wasn't burnt out by England''s packed schedule, Sport24 reports.
But the ECB is holding firm to its stance that players cannot "pick and choose" which limited overs matches they play in.
Pietersen, however, is still set to feature in this week's first Test against South Africa at The Oval.
Smith added: "I don't have any inside information at all, so I'm just looking from the outside, but if there''s any truth that his decision was partly based on the disagreements he had with the ECB and the way they treated him, then I believe he'll find it even harder to come to terms with the way his one-day career has ended."
Smith gave up the South African one-day captaincy after last year's World Cup, but has no plans to follow Pietersen into limited overs retirement.
Sachin Tendulkar announced his retirement from international cricket after playing his 200th Test in the home series against the West Indies next month.
Date 09-10-13, Duration 0:40, Views 20006