Massa admits Ferrari future unclear
Ferrari Formula One driver Felipe Massa of Brazil stretches in the box during the second practice session of the Monaco F1 Grand Prix May 24, 2012.
After a shot of better form for the Brazilian in Monaco, and team president Luca di Montezemolo saying Sergio Perez is too inexperienced to replace him, 31-year-old Massa's hopes of staying at Ferrari have been boosted.
"I'm sure that, because we are improving our car, the car will be less difficult to drive," Montezemolo told Reuters late last week.
"And I expect from Felipe better performances as I have already seen in Monte Carlo, because in Monte Carlo he was among the five quickest drivers on the track and in the qualifiers.
"So I hope he will continue like this. At the moment we are not taking any decision yet for the future, because it is too early."
Fernando Alonso is also backing his teammate to bounce back.
"The results he had (earlier in 2012) were not normal for Felipe," the Spaniard insisted.
"He has my full support, and the support of the team, to change the situation.
"In Monaco things seemed to have changed, so hopefully from now on it will be good for him," said Alonso.
And according to Germany's Auto Bild, Massa also sees "an opportunity to stay at Ferrari" in 2013.
He admits, however, that he needs to keep his foot down.
"Everything depends on the results that I get from now on," said Massa.
He insisted he is making no plans.
"At the moment I have no idea what I'm doing next year. My future is the next race.
"All I want is to stay in formula one in a good team. If I cannot do that, but would have to switch to a small team, I don't know if I would keep going at all."